Tuesday 13 September 2011

An Advertiser's Wet Dream

That would be my sister.

She is, I quote, a sucker for packaging, unquote. She said so herself, so I consider it perfectly fine to say it out loud. Anything wrapped in a fancy way, anything that catches her eye, she'll go for it, even though it ends up pretty rotten in the end (think buying food because it is packaged elegantly but contains not-so-tasty food).

Me, on the other hand, am an advertiser's worst nightmare.

Seriously, I don't pay attention to adverts on the newspapers or magazines. Only this morning my sister was telling me about a particular scholarship to apply and I promptly asked her, "Really? Got show ke?" and she replied, rather irritably, yes.

Which led me thinking about all these.

When it comes to newspapers I scan the headlines, and if there is something interesting based on the statement I'll read it, but if it doesn't catch my eye I skip. And I skip the adverts entirely. Partly because there is nothing I want to read about or buy that they're showing, and mainly because there's just so much more to read, so by skipping over the irrelevant details I gain more time for other things.

And yes people, I don't go online and play games or whatnot. I actually read fanfiction online. My favourites are the ones where it's incredibly long (Just finished a Severus/Hermione one called Semantics that was 100 chapters) and detailed, it's like reading an entire book. Of course, the one shots are nice as well, but like Jenny Shepard from NCIS said in a fanfiction, "It's not about the ending, it's about how the characters get there." I like to read how the characters evolve, and sometimes when I write I can't help but feel a little helpless that I'll never be able to evolve them that way, simply because I'm such a schmuck at writing emotions. I love reading about them, but I don't know how to put it into words, how to bring it to life.

Anyway, I'll be leaving for Notthingham Malaysian Campus in a couple of weeks and I'm still at a loss at what to bring there. Shall I do the one-suitcase policy, where I bring everything in (you got it!) one suitcase and generally live out of that, or do I move in, move in? I don't want to bring lots of stuff, but since I'll be living in the house five days a week it feels a bit.....cold without some personal possessions. And I've not met half of my housemates yet so it's going to be odd. I wonder how we can stand our respective quirks and habits.

I don't know which jacket to bring.

And even if I want to do a bit of early studying, I honestly can't because I don't exactly know what books I'll be needing (makes me kinda guilty when my sis studies intently during her off-days -- she's only got lectures three times a week!) and all the books on their recommended reading list are available at Nott's library/bookshop. I feel so bummed out and lazy hence the multiple reading sessions.

According to the gadget on my desktop, it is mostly cloudy in KL and the temperature is 31 degrees Celsius. Which is hot, isn't it? I mean, normal room temperatures here is at 25 degrees C. So a rise of 6 degrees in the temperature means it's rather warm, yes?

If that's the case, why on earth are my hands cold?

I mean, really cold.

It's like that time in HELP. We were having a Core Maths 4 mock (which I failed miserably - don't ask) and I wore my jacket and Shangeeth asked if I were really that cold, and persuaded me to take my jacket off. Shrugging, I did so, and endured the entire two hour period without my jacket.

A big mistake.

I was chattering the entire time, my limbs were freezing, and I couldn't care less about the exam when I was half frozen. And I do believe that time, the temperature of the AC was 22 degrees Celsius, I think. It may have been lower than that, of course, but none of my pals were bothered, in fact they relished it, being a hot day and all, and I simply don't trust my judgment in temperature.

No comments: