Sunday 15 April 2012

Ecstasy of Music

When you find that one thing that gets you really excited, it's higher than any drug in the world. But with the high comes a low, and the low is complete addiction. I'm fine with it, though, since my addiction is James Newton Howard's The Gravel Road.

Strange that a piece of music can be such an addiction, but there's just something about it that resonates with me. You know, there was a piece in the newspaper a couple of years back where they did a study with instrumental music, where they discovered that when it came to a certain point in the song, the part where whoever is listening to it feels the climax of the song, basically the part which they enjoy most of all, the brain releases dopamine, also known as the feel-good chemical. I don't know if you people have ever experienced that, but I have countless times, for Narnia the Battle, for Jacqui McShee's Morgane, but most of all The Gravel Road.

And when I say addicted, I mean addicted. Because right now I can't go a day without listening to it. Seriously, TGR makes me want to take up violin again, a sentiment I know I share with Li Sha. I can't say why I fell in love with this piece, but there's something about the melody that speaks to you, and I'm very pleased that TGR is used as the main theme for The Village, a movie that you can only watch once in a long time because it's draggy in the beginning, but the second half is way better.

No comments: