Sunday 1 July 2007

The X-Men: The Future Generation [Part 2]

Alix thought she was dreaming.

'Professor? Professor Xavier?'

Here, Alexzandria. I'm here, with David and Erik, Xavier replied telepathically.

Alix blinked. She peered harder at the trio using her mind's eye. 'Sorry, Professor, but I can't see you. Are you sure you're there?'

Yes, Alix, I'm here, Xavier said yet again. Maybe if you look inside David, you'll find me....

'Worth a shot,' Alix muttered, zooming in onto David, focusing her telempathy onto him. She felt something strange inside of him, two beings. One she recognized as Xavier, but the other is...

Lucas, Xavier explained. David's more powerful and evil personality. Ever since David left the mansion more than twenty years ago, Lucas was overpowering him. The last time we met, David was in control, but then I realized that Lucas was controlling him from within, like a puppeteer and the puppet.

'Let me guess,' Alix bit her lip. 'David is the puppet.'

Correct. And since then, Lucas had been using David as a front. Xavier sighed. All these while, I've been trying to get Lucas away from David but--

Alix was getting impatient. 'Sorry to interrupt, Prof., but I really like to know how you got in there.'

Xavier smiled. I was wondering when you'd ask. Alright then, I'll tell you. Alix prepared herself for a long story as Xavier began. I don't know if you remember, but you were about six when David slash Lucas came back.

We were preparing a battle, the X-Men against David. Yes, he was that powerful, Xavier's voice broke out, distracting Alix from her thoughts about how powerful David was. She raised an eyebrow when she realized that she didn't voice out that opinion. Xavier's smile widen. I am telepathic, Alix. Anyway, we were fighting David. His powers were great, far more powerful than that of Wanda Maximoff.

'Magneto's daughter,' Alix exhaled. 'Right.'

Exactly. David was considered great, even by our standards. And I realized that the only way to stop him was by sending a powerful psychic attack to his head, confusing him, confusing Lucas.

Alix had to grin. 'But, as usual, it backfired.'

Xavier was laughing. No doubt you are recalling what happened in your time.

'Yep,' Alix said, sobering. She remembered. When she was younger her parents fought quite alot about the X-Men. Being the naiive kid she was, Alix instinctively thought she was the cause of their fighting, and proceeded to project a dark figure that would kill her due to a misunderstanding that was later corrected.

After the incident, Professor Xavier resolved to give her the same treatment he gave her mother Jean when she was new to her abilities. He erected psychic shields in Alix's mind so that she would not be able to use her telepathic abilities until she had achieved the maturity necessary for dealing with them. Simultaneously, he taught her how to levitate and manipulate objects through psionic force. When Alix was thirteen, Xavier judged that she had reached a certain level of mastery of her telekinetic power, and he removed the psychic barriers that prevented Alix from using her abilities.

What he didn’t know, or perhaps miscalculated, was that the moment he released the barriers, Alix’s telekinetic/telepathy powers coalesce together, giving her an additional power: the power to feel the emotions of others around her, the ability to alter those emotions, and the power to launch psionic bolts, making her quite the psionic.

Probably the ultimate psionic if I added the Chromatic part, Alix thought quietly to herself, careful to shield her thoughts from Xavier. He didn't need to know that.

Xavier was still talking. To cut a long story short, I became trapped in David's mind, bodiless. Oh, I still have my power, but I cannot access to it simply because Lucas doesn't allow it. I am by far the more powerful telepathic, but this is David's world I'm trapped in, and Lucas controls David. Unless Lucas relents, I am for the time being a non-mutant, serving now as Lucas's conscience.

Alix couldn't believe some parts. 'And Lucas knows you're there, right?'

Maybe, Xavier did a mental shrug. He dismisses me as the good side of David, because all these while, David has been shielding me from Lucas. It is possible that Lucas has been ignorant of my presence here with him.

'Ooh-kay,' Alix said. 'And I fit into this plot how--?'

Xavier sighed again. I know what I'm about to ask of you is a big deal, Alix, but now you're my only hope. I need you to help me find out what is David doing with Magneto. I know he's planning something, but Ian seems to have suspected David, and is keeping him away. David is now my only link to the outside world. I cannot live like this any longer!

The last sentence was delievered with a blow of frustration that surprised Alix. She raised an eyebrow when Xavier mentioned Ian, David's third and most docile, but no less dangerous than Lucas, personality. A question had been at the tip of Alix's tongue for a while now. 'Professor, how is Lucas controlling David? Because I'm using the Cerebro and looking at him right now, and he looks just like....well, David.'

Xavier seemed startled. Hold on, Alexzandria. You mean you're using the Cerebro? Is your mother there with you? How did you get in? Does anything know what you're doing? Do you know what you're doing?

'Whoa!' Alix held up a telepathic hand to stop the flow of questions. 'It's yes, no, long story, no, yes. Please,' she scowled. 'I would know. Can you answer the question?' There was a hint of irratation in her voice.

I think I know the answer to that, Xavier said after a pause. I think that Lucas is using David's appearance to walk in the outside world. Think of it along the lines of shapeshifting.

'Of course,' Alix blinked. 'Why didn't I think of that?' She inhaled as her telempathy guided her to another scene. 'Professor...' she said slowly.

Yes?

'I gotta go,' Alix ripped off the headset without waiting for a reply, and rushed towards the sliding door. Lucky for her no one was in sight. She rushed into the elevator and stabbed at the buttons, biting her lip impatiently as she rose up to the ground floor. Grabbing her coat, she ran past Reina and the others who were playing Monopoly. She ran out of the mansion and towards the garage. Once there, she took her Ducati Monster, and immediately heading for town.

It took her two seconds on the road to realize that she haven't told Xavier about Optical yet, but Alix didn't care. Because what she just saw was something more important.

It was the image of Jay and Nessa being attacked.

No comments: